The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Watcher

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 am

Originally, the Alterverse multiverse was going to be called "Panenthea", but as that term became less relevant to the over all universe, I decided to change the name. One of the alternate names for the whole universe I considered was "The Watcher Saga", but decided on "Alterverse" because it sounded better at the time (and I couldn't come up with a cool symbol for it). So, of course, the "Watcher" is pretty significant.

The will appear in many of my novels as a random guy in a black suit (or maybe something less cliché) just before really important things happen. In the first two TPoA books, he'll only make brief cameos, like "David could've sworn he saw a black suit move between the trees" or something. At point in the second book (near the end, probably) one of the POV characters will make eye contact with him and he'll speak to them. He'll only actually become a relevant character in the third book.

I intend to imply the following about the Watcher in the books:
-Despite appearing human, he is not biologically human.
-He is in some way connected to the Jaylen and is at the very least fully aware of their plan.
-His appearances are meaningful and are perhaps intended to stall a character upon noticing him or otherwise trigger a certain reaction in them that will prove vital to the intended course of events, but he never interferes with events directly (until much later).
-He is an inter-dimensional being that can appear at any place and time he wants / needs to.

One of the Watcher's main reason for being is to tie the various story arcs in Alterverse together, as it would otherwise be too much of a stretch to tie the series' together later (the two series to be written after TPoA are about mutant people and the zombie apocalypse, and psychics, souls and sorcery, respectively. So tying the first three series together without some sort of common element would be exceedingly difficult to pull off). The Alterverse stories also have other common elements, but they are generally much more subtle.

So, yay or nay for the Watcher? Any suggestions? Reasons you think I shouldn't go ahead with this? Ways you think I should do this differently? I'm open to all your thought. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Aletrius
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Aletrius

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 am

Seems alright to me. But just be careful that you aren't drawn into huge swathes of explanation as to why he exists in the first place.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 am

Worry not, for said explanation will have its own novel. Smile

(Do you wish to know who/what he/it really is?)
Back to top Go down
Aletrius
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Aletrius

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 am

Don't see why not.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Sounds neat. Gotta love weird non-human things that look humanoid and wear suits.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 am

Physically, the Watcher is human (Transhuman, specifically. As in a human with epic artificial powers). His consciousness, however, is actually that of the only still-living Jaylen in that timeline. His purpose is basically to make absolutely sure that things happen the way they need to for the eventual awesome event the Alterverse novels are leading up to to occur. For this reason, he will appear briefly in every core series in Alterverse.

I will introduce both the human male and Jaylen he's made of separately in future novels.

My concern at the moment is how I'm gonna introduce him in TPoA without it being way too random. I won't just throw him in somewhere, obviously, but have characters glimpse him as a movement or black shape or human face or whatever before officially revealing him.

Also, is it too stereotypical that he's a man?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm

It does seem pretty stereotypical that he's a man, mmh.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm

To compensate, I do have an inter-dimensional race of gender-ambiguous Slendermen. They are shape-shifters and generally shift into the form of a human (of either gender) wearing a suit. This way I could confuse people into thinking the Watcher is one of them. They'll only be introduced in the third Alterverse story, though.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Ooh. That sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 am

Yeah. They're awesome. They can also lobotomise your soul.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 5:45 pm

That sounds a tad less fun, but also really awesome.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 am

I think I'll dub the Watcher's origin human component with a name recycled from a deleted character in TPoA: Anthony Frost. He'll be side a character in Wretches and Kings (the books that take place during the Extinction Period on Earth) who'll "die" in a time-travel accident, that'll transport him to Panenthea's time (about a thousand years after TPoA) where his Jaylen component will be introduced separately. I also plan on writing a novel of his "creation" after the time-travel incident 'till he truly becomes the Watcher. It'll be a possibly large number of years before I get to any of those books, meaning that I'll have ample time to brainstorm more about the Watcher and flesh about his story.

He may have noticed that, though the Watcher will appear in The People's of Algol, he isn't "created" yet in Panenthea (as his components are still separate by then), which is set a few centuries after TPoA. This is explained by him being an interdimensional being. After his "creation" (or even during it) he jumps around a lot through time (perhaps a result of the time-travel accident?). As the Watcher (the figure "watching" things happen in the books) he can switch times and timelines at will, which would make time highly achronological in his point of view.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Watcher Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Watcher   The Watcher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Watcher
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The ALTERVERSE Forums :: [Archive]-
Jump to: