The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)

Go down 
+3
Balufire
Xeno
LichenDragon
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
LichenDragon
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name: Liekan Dajonvii A'Vi
Starting Universe:

Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm

Can't... read, blue text....

Must... copy and paste to word!

Okay, I'm still Biased to the Jay'Vi being Turk-like, but anyways....

Sounds good with the history, nice to know the origins of those major things. Life and Empires.

And on the colonial thing forget it, I didn't have such a detailed understanding of the empires at that point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/LichenDragon
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:25 pm

TemporalV01D wrote:
I honestly do not know... I think I quickly need to work out a rough current system.

Would Novusvita spin in the same direction as Earth?

Unless it had been hit by something massive, yes, nearly all heavenly bodies spin in the same direction, the only difference is the tilt. Venus and Uranus are seemingly the only exceptions, and Uranus spins the same way as earth, its axis is just tilted farther.

Pondering
I also thought of one solution to the boat problem, Because the winds are higher up in the atmosphere, higher than a very tall mast can reach, perhaps they use kites. Near the shore, the slight unequal heating of the water and land would cause a small amount of wind, in the morning and afternoon. This could lift the kite into the air. The "Kite" would not be a kite in the traditional sense, but a very large sail, like that of a parasail/chute, It would be connected to the boat using ropes.

Although it seems slightly extraordinary, it could work. I'm not quite sure myself if it is practical. Pondering

And because you stated the most irrelevant paradox, I shall solve it.
The problem is the problem itself, If Achilles is racing a tortoise and gives it a 100 meter head start, He moves at say 100m/min, and reaches the tortoises start point in one minute, the tortoise moves at 10m/min, he is now ten meters ahead of Achilles. The problem says that there are infinite points along that line, but it also says that Achilles will never overtake the tortoise. This is not true, unless the goal is to move where the tortoise is currently, therefore it isn't a race. If it were a race, Achilles would be 80 meters ahead of the tortoise at the two minute mark.
This is a logic failure on the creators fault, as time is not something that actually exists, it is therefore not possible that this impossibility is impossible. Becuase he is measuring the number of points, not whether or not the overtake actually takes place.
And now That this has confused everyone...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

That actually made sense.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Really? I gleamed what felt like another paradox on my first read....

The only problem I could see with the sails is that they'll probably pull the ship's bow upwards which is not necessarily a good thing but I don't think it's quite as much of a problem then pushing the bow of the ship down. (By using too much sail, which shouldn't be a problem as long as the captain is skilled.)
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Put sails in the back too.

Oh, and you have to go and make a topic on the Sporum to recruit S&S people. Because I said so. And make a Taco Gazelle topic. It's your turn.

Oh, and change the Timeline to this:

Timeline:

Date: Event:

, Agol System Forms from Nebula, planets including Novuvsita form amid turmoil

, Life arises on Novuvsita
at
a subterranean level, mainly from hydrogen and sulphur compunds. Early
Novusvitan life was bound to a subterranean level due to direct sunlight
breaking down their molecular compounds.

, Compound harvesting allows first organisms to exist in direct sunlight.

, Compound harvesting leads independantly to Minerallians and the precursers to the first Imperia.

Imperia evolve, initially as organelle clumps within Liquiphites.
Eventually said Liquiphites become vestages and eventually first cells
no longer need Liquiphite boddies to survive.

, First
multicellular life forms through cell herding and later cell colonies.
Gradually Imperial life becomes larger and larger.

, First Disymmetra form.

, Duososida evolve.

, Sentient Xen'Vi for the first time make use of fashioned tools
in Xena

, Xen'Vi begin agriculture and domestication of certain flora and animals

, Xen'vi spread to much of Novusvita, first seperate nations form.

, Precurser Iga'vi nation forms in central Gharo'zaghira, precurser Valiero'vi nation forms in Cyro'bar.

Precurser Iga nation spreads northward, taking over smaller nations and
tribes. First Iga civil war breaks out, (original) southern part of
nation breaks off and forms Jay'vi.

, Iga becomes gigantic empire, war with Valiero. Iga defeats Valiero and takes west of Valiero territory.

Second Iga civil war, rebels cast out into the mountains to die. Rebels
form Oijah'vi in secrecy and find something in the vast mountain cave
systems.

2217, Humans first discover Novuvsita using probes, further probes discover life from orbit

, Probes are sent to surface and find complex life in large
amounts, probes lost one by one to terrain, weather and wildlife

2229, Manned ships enter Agol System and launch landing parties,
small colonies built in Northern hemisphere, first Human to Xen'Vi
contact initiated. God/Demon-like status given to alien Humans
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I was thinking the Sails would be attached at multiple places, not just one place. By lengthening the rope on one, it would pull the sail, catching the most breeze, I was thinking about six positioned along the edges of the boat. Winches would let in/out the amount of rope needed. Rope would be long, like long as the anchor chains long. Then using a rudder to steer of course.

Really? cause it didn't come out as I would have liked it to...

Wait, who has to make a topic in S&S? I can hardly go in there any more without getting tackled by all the wannabe smart peoples... Like cpelite and kaleb, and to a lesser extent, AaronMK and Slyth33.

Nice job Xeno, its coming along quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Slyth and Aaron, particularly Sylth tend to be right all to often when I converse with them, if assuming DragonVoid isn't also online.

Thank you Xeno, posting that now...

I think that the sails could work, (at least be believable in the book) and steering would be done old fashioned way with a rudder I think, otherwise the maneuvering would be difficult, particularly considering the unreliable wind, that would be bad.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Well, we don't have to use a rudder... I'll think of something. Pondering

Hmmm... Everything I can think of involves a rudder, or a corkscrew mechanism... Why I don't know.

Maybe the boats are... those catamaran things... It would be easier to steer wouldn't it.

I don't know much about boats other than how one works. Hell I've only been on like two boats in my entire life (not counting Canoes).
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Wait? Why can't we use a rudder? I was saying we should use a rudder since steering with sails is much more difficult.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:08 am

I didn't do much, I just took Dudemans post, made the writing white and edited it a bit.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 am

The only problem I can see with the kite-sail idea is the further loss of stopping capability.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 10:08 am

I like the kite-sails, but Geek's got a point. We need some way to stop them catching wind when the need arises.

And I'm not too keen on making the S&S recruitment topic. I don't really have a life on the Sporum anymore...
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:06 am

That's why all of us told Lichen to.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:25 am

Cool.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Seeing as my only S&S topic was about Taco Gazelles I doubt anybody would care about what i have to say.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Told me to? I haven't actually posted on a thread other then the Newlife one for months.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Oh it seems I misread that... Rudders it is.

Hmmm... The only way I can think of to stop getting pulled by the Kite thing would be to make it give you lift instead of push, else it would cause the Kite to fall, the sails to get wet, and thus be to heavy to fly... The Kite couldn't possibly create enough lift to make the ship air born. It could work in theory...
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 pm

It's the only possibility unless the ship can pull in the sail which unless at the time its windy would end in it getting a soak. It could be treated though with substances that reduce water intake by the fabric allowing it to get wet and still fly.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:12 pm

The only other idea I have would be to make really freaking tall masts. That would probably flip the boat over in the slightest of winds.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Not to mention manning them would be suicidal even if possible structurally, because you may notice the taller something is the more its top wobbles. Sailors would be thrown from the masts by the motion.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 pm

Lol.

I'll go with Lichen's water-proof sails.

Now for the next problem and one that Lichen has pointed out time and time again. When the seas decide to get rough, aside from the non-rigidness, how will the water cities not get destroyed?

Notes on the sea cities:

• Most are built in fairly shallow seas, but quite far off coast.
  • They are anchored to the sea floor via a really thick rope attached to the centre of the city with a really heavy thing and the bottom.
  • The cities are mainly made up of ships, rafts and other floating things tied together with really strong ropes. This keeps the city intact while still allowing flexibility.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

LichenDragon wrote:
Not to mention manning them would be suicidal even if possible structurally, because you may notice the taller something is the more its top wobbles. Sailors would be thrown from the masts by the motion.

I wonder if they would make that noise you always here when someone falls in a movie.

Spacers, in between the boats. A rope would still allow them to collide, and with the probable size of the waves, they would be destroyed. a Spacer made of something Rubbery, or a large bundle of Rope or Hay, would allow the boats to absorb the blow. Along with the boats being tied to the main anchor line by smaller thinner ropes. As well as the main line to be slightly longer, so the city floats around, when a wave comes it has room to go up with the wave, and then down as well.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 am

*Point Point*

Well, large buffers (Padding) could be used to protect the ships from each other. I'm almost envisioning a sort of Viking style thing here. they tied the ships together and then used them as land to brain each other. Just here I sort forsee a temporary structure of command. I think it would be mostly seafaring ships to deal with the whole your out in the ocean sort of problem.

I think that a simple predict and scatter scenario is in order for storms. They'll have to be close to anchorage though because of fact that storms are very crappy for ships. Particularly around the warm equator.

So I think the cities are going to be more piles of ships functioning as a mobile command base and docking for individual ships, probably either as center for invasions or in an area were there are few ports, respectively.

And Balu might have just said what I said...
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Only the padding part Lichen.

I agree with the Scatter part though, any large storm would be highly hazardous for the city.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 am

But is there any way for the city to not have to break appart and flee? I'm not too keen on having it be temporary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)   Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information) - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Novuvsita Timeline of Major Events (But for now I need more information)
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next