The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weather, Climate and the Seasons

Go down 
+4
geekus_sapiens
Xeno
LichenDragon
SPACE_LEMON
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 am

I know that. I suppose that it's not really a true diagram of the seasons, as the tilt of the planet has yet to be taken into account, but with three stars moving about and being closer to the planet one would assume they'd have an effect on seasons. I would, at least.

Well, you're back at least.
Back to top Go down
Astrolizard2000
New Comer
New Comer
Astrolizard2000

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 am

Hmmm... The seasons, as well as the night and day cycle, will be pretty hectic at some points, if that is to be the official cycle.

So, assuming the planet has an axis tilt somewhat similar to earth's, and I'm guessing the large Red sun is the hotter one? I'm not entirely sure which one's hotter. I think the smaller ones are usually hotter....

Anyways, if the large ones are hotter, the seasons/temperatures would maybe be something like this:

A: I think this would be something like a normal earth season, with summer in the northern hemisphere, winter in the south.

B: Near constant daylight on all sides, with two different nights/twilight portions.

C: Similar to A, although a bit warmer.

D: A hotter version of B.

E: Hot, particularly in the northern hemisphere. Has night, a stronger version of an earth summer.

F: The hottest season, scorching sunlight with pretty much entire daylight hours throughout, hottest in the northern hemisphere.

G: Same as G, but hotter in southern hemisphere.

H: Same as F, but hottest in the southern hemisphere.

If the small suns are hotter, then it'll need to be changed.

So....I'm thinking, unless the ozone layer and cloud layers are EXTREMELY thick and constantly overcast, the creatures would have to endure extremely high temperatures with no nightfall in some seasons? Basically, it's has a two "normal" seasons similar to earth's(maybe something like a spring/fall temperature-wise?), four seasons of constant daylight(with two brief night periods per rotation), and two summers(when both red and blue stars are heating up the planet). Pretty harsh environment.

Wait, how does the planet orbit around these suns...? That could change the seasons in each hemisphere, as well as the distance between the planet and each sun..
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 am

Balufire wrote:
List started!
Winds move like earth's, but are higher in the atmosphere, storm systems will be more powerful. Lightning would be more rampant, and more powerful, because of the thicker atmosphere.

Precipitation would be slightly acidic, with the occasional strong, yet partially diluted, sulfuric acid rain. Limited to Rain, Hail, freezing rain, dew, and the occasional Snow.

The sky's would be overcast almost constantly, once again because of atmosphere qualities, as well as to protect from rampant radiation. The planets Ozone would have to be thicker, because of the three stars instead of one. The magnetosphere would also be more powerful, making magnets more readily available.

There's some weather and atmospheric stuff. So yeah, ozone layers pretty thick.

As for how it orbits, I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Aletrius
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Aletrius

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:21 am

Xeno wrote:
I know that. I suppose that it's not really a true diagram of the seasons, as the tilt of the planet has yet to be taken into account, but with three stars moving about and being closer to the planet one would assume they'd have an effect on seasons. I would, at least.

Well, you're back at least.

Algol C is such as small star and far enough away that its effect can be counted as negligable. In all honesty, having Algol A and B wouldn't make that much of a difference - axis would still be the deciding factor, the presence of two stars would merely exacerbate the effects of the axis. And yes, F and G would be the hottest seasons.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:56 am

Okay then.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Ok, Hello. I know I went missing, and practically off the charts there for a while, but Hopefully... I am back.

So whats been going on the last ... month?... or so?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Me and Dudeman have been sitting here wondering where you all went.

Not really.

Um... We worked a bit on changed the taxonomy. Make that a lot. And that's about it, really.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 pm

I um. Well... Kinda forgot about this place... After I left the Sporum. And practically every Forum except the Nexon Forums. (Doesn't really count though) I left the Sporum because it was dieing faster than a piece of Ununhexium. And with that being my only connection to here it kinda slipped my mind.

But I am back now and my mind is fresh with Ideas.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 am

The Sporum is very much not dying, but whatever, good to have you back. Now go post everywhere!
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 am

If its not growing... Its dying. It may be buying its time for a while, but since '09 it has been slowly. Roleplay is probably the only thing keeping the Sporum Alive.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 1:34 pm

I disagree. It's still alive, more people are joining to replace the old ones.

Speaking of the Sporum, help me bump the Newlife topic there so it stays on the recent topics list forever.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:51 pm

... Ok. I don't want to but for the good of the colony.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Then go post on every topic that you can find.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 5:31 pm

One Successful Bump, I2U Infini-T Tech.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Thank you very much good sir/ma'am/other.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Other will do... I don't think there is a respectful way to say... Hackzor!

Now to the weather!
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:13 am

I don't know much about weather.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

Weather. Um.

No clue.

I wasn't aware that those season charts were vertical. I had kind of assumed they were views from above.

A vertically orbiting sun compared to the planetary axis would gravitationally screw the entire system up even more than it already would be.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am

Are they? I had no Idea either... That's not good. Wait, who said they were vertical? Making that chart vertical changes alot...

Wait a second, it has to be from above as if it were not the planets angle of rotation would vary. This would also mean that the planet during two season would be almost tidal locked, one side turning into a desert the other into a glacier. Perpetual day/Night.

If these two stars in the centre rotate cross axis to the planet, life is essentially screwd on Novusvita.

I really hope no one said this... as it would make life impossible except for only on the equator.

Novusvita would thus be Novusmortum Newdead...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 am

Novusmortum Newdead... Ha!

I think it's from above. Nobody said it was vertical, so I'd go with it being from above.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

... K. GM don't be crazy, don't take hallucinogens. They cause nothing but troubleclefs.

Seasonal differences aren't meant to be as drastic as Earth's. This combined with the cloud cover makes everything comfortable to life on NV.

Oh yeah, we need to select a polar orientation, a "North Star" of sorts.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Astrolizard2000 wrote:
A: I think this would be something like a normal earth season, with summer in the northern hemisphere, winter in the south.

B: Near constant daylight on all sides, with two different nights/twilight portions.

C: Similar to A, although a bit warmer.

D: A hotter version of B.

E: Hot, particularly in the northern hemisphere. Has night, a stronger version of an earth summer.

F: The hottest season, scorching sunlight with pretty much entire daylight hours throughout, hottest in the northern hemisphere.

G: Same as G, but hotter in southern hemisphere.

H: Same as F, but hottest in the southern hemisphere.

The fact that (s)he says that certain seasons that would otherwise be identical are hotter in x/y hemisphere is where I was getting that from. If the charts were from above, this would not be the case. If they were a side view, it would.

And I am not taking hallucinogens.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Then we can go and disregard some of what they said, and instead change it to fit a scenario in which the charts are from above.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 am

I think we already did that. It's lurking somewhere near the front page.
Back to top Go down
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm not much use when it comes to weather lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weather, Climate and the Seasons
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The ALTERVERSE Forums :: [Archive]-
Jump to: