The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)

Go down 
+2
SPACE_LEMON
LichenDragon
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LichenDragon
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name: Liekan Dajonvii A'Vi
Starting Universe:

5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Empty
PostSubject: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Many of you are probably wondering if I'm obsessed with Cracked.com. The main reason all the articles that I post come from it is that I'm too lazy to actually go out and search for other articles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/LichenDragon
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 am

Lol. Okay.
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm

So. What are these machines that the Iga'Vi are supposed to have?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am

War ships, tank-like things, cannons on wheals, etc.

Other transport includes wildlife such as bigger and more brutish relatives of the Skylar, "horses" and Behemoths (see the species list/archive/thing), all normally equipped with incredibly light, yet incredibly strong armour and weapons such as rather large cross-bows, cannons and steam-driven guns.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Are crossbows very prevalent as hand held weapons or are they just Scorpion and Ballista style weapons?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Both. The Ballista types are mainly found on Behemoths (which I am planing to rename) and war vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Frog_Empire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Frog_Empire

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:31 am

Tank-like things? Sounds scary...
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 am

You bet.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 pm

For some reason I was imagining Steampunk tanks... Maybe its just me and my absolute fascination with steam-powered walkers. Ofcourse this was also mixed with my strange ability to put Asian references on everyting, so these walkers were armed with Chinese rockets with a Napalm variant. But this is just me, I doubt this is even likely to be had on any planet...

Sorry I have been gone... I just Got Garrys Mod, and it is very fun to make really big spaceships. Now if only I had a good internet connection to Pwn some Mingebags...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 am

Garry's Mod is awesome.

Steam punk tanks sound epic.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 8:56 am

Agreed. We must have armored vehicles.

Now for functional reasons, I'd put it at below WWI standards because of the rest of technological progress. Perhaps a wheeled vehicle, (very) small cannon, more of a moving shield then tank, otherwise loading the gun would be impossible. Nothing large could be made since the steam engine can't be very well designed this early on in its developement. But a moving shield with a small cannon carried around inside it with other soldiers could work well. I suppose with multiple engines they could make good-sized vehicles though. Not fast certainly but well armored. They could only fire the cannon stationary though. I fully support the armored vehicles though.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am

Balu and Lichen both basically just summarised Iga's tanks, but without the details.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:53 pm

And any in-closed vehicles would be miniature hells for their occupants. They'd also need a way to fuel the heat for the steam....

Could the Guns be fired with pressure made of gas simply being rapidly emitted? Or perhaps also with large amounts of heat along with the reaction.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 am

Dunno. We still have the question of fire and combustion in a CO2 atmosphere hanging.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Fire can't exist without oxygen so there will be no fire.

Now other chemical reactions that produce rapidly large amounts of heat or gas will work.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 am

You sure? I remeber somewhere you suggested a few other reactions but I can't remember any.
Back to top Go down
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 am

Tanks? maybe a cannon like thing with some armour, not a tank because this is the 1500s tech wise
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Er, I can't remember them myself, other then Magnesium and something...

but then that I now learn needs a flame to start it.

Okay I found a Thermite reaction with Iron Oxide and Aluminum. Now we need Rust basically which requires Oxygen I don't know how much.

I feel that we could stretch the truth here, this is a science fiction novel and even the best writers stretch it every once in a while. Such as H. G. Wells in describing "The Time Machine". We could simply say, the Iron Oxide is for some reason available even though there isn't as much Oxygen for so and so reasons.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:18 am

Galatic conquerer wrote:
Tanks? maybe a cannon like thing with some armour, not a tank because this is the 1500s tech wise
That doesn't apply to the whole planet, dude. Each clan is at a different tech level. And even there the tech levels can't fully compare to human tech levels.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, the different clans would rapidly try and reproduce each other's technology. It's part of the nature to survive, if it helps others do it yourself. Just because the Moors used cannons in Iberia didn't mean the English witnesses of the battle never considered using those cannons. If the person next to you finds a way to crack a nut you'll do the same.

They can easily have different tech levels but unless there are major barriers (Jungle for the Svia'Vi, Environment for the Tundra clans, Separation for the Qua'A'Vi) they will adopt each other's technology pretty quickly. The Iga'Vi could have much better cannons then say the Valiero'Vi but the Valiero'Vi will certainly adopt cannons if they work and eventually figure out how to make better cannons.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 pm

LichenDragon wrote:
Fire can't exist without oxygen so there will be no fire.

Now other chemical reactions that produce rapidly large amounts of heat or gas will work.

There is oxygen, just not alot of it... You are correct though, fire is a problem. Unless you have a flammable object that emits Oxygen as it burns... how this would work though is beyond me...

Which is why I suggest steam cannons, or we could go with compressed atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Where do you get the steam? And how do they compress the atmosphere?
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:04 pm

I see three choices here...
1: A far fetched point where an animal creates powerful exothermic reactions within its body, perhaps a Mineralite, (Radioactive, Piezoelectric, or Phosphoric in Origin?), this is used to heat a boiler. The rest is Obvious. Anything that generates a large amount of heat is good enough.

2: A Liquid/Air Compression pump; It compresses the air with a rotational air pump and stores it.

3: Make something up that seems possible. Because scientists do not know all of the possible reactions Carbon Dioxide environments it is entirely possible to think of a slightly possible reaction Carbon could have.

(Off topic: IM ALMOST 16 WOOT... now if only I would go and get my permit...)
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 pm

I say 3.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:37 am

I really like the steam idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)    5 Real Historical Death Stars (Complete With Baffling Flaws)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next