The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Empty
PostSubject: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 am

Okay, well, initially I thought it was about time we came up with names for the Novusvitan domains (Liquiphita, Minerallia and Imperia) that made more etymological sense. Then after doing that, I decided to do the same with the kingdoms and phyla. I found, however, that many of my devisions made little sense, so I decided to redo that too.

Let me first enlighten you to the latest redevisions so far:

• Solvoa, formerly Liquiphita, derived from the Latin for dissolve, because they are "dissolved" in liquid.
    • Laxusliquidus
      • Solvoforma
      • Potiormembrana
    • Darusliquidus
      • Mollisvitrum
      • Carnishumor
      • Cuplalimus

• Recolliga, formerly Minerallia, derived from the Latin for gather, because they gather minerals to build their bodies.
      Will add this group's situation tomorrow.

• Carcera, formerly Imperia, derived from the Latin for cell, because they are made up of cells.
      Will add this group's situation tomorrow as well.

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 am

Perhaps we could make the poll on the Sporum, or some other website with more active posters.

Anyway, for Imperia, perhaps it could be "Bestia", meaning "Animal", as they are more like animals than the other two domains. So far, at least. But then there are Imperian bacteria. Perhaps the name could be something to do with the cells.

"Karyon", Greek for "nut" or "kernal" (referring to the nucleus) could be used. Like Eukaryotes on Earth, the Imperia are the Novusvitan equivalents of animals, plants, fungi and different microorganisms. You could perhaps throw in the Greek word for "alien" at the beginning if you want. Google translate says that it is "allodapĆ³s", but I don't know if it supposed to be in ancient Greek or not.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 am

Well, most Novusvitan lifeforms have nuclei, not just the Imperia. Imperia is just the only Novusvitan life forms with cells, which is why I'm hesitant to using a derivision of Eukaryota.

So far I favour Solvoa for Liquiphita, Recolliga for Minerallia and Carcera for Imperia.

I actually don't think a poll's really necessary now.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am

Ok then. I guess I was confused about the cellular structure.

I like those names. They sound better and more sciency than the other ones.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Okay. Should we use them?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Yup.

What about the rest of the taxonomy? Is it staying the same?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Pretty much. I defined those terms quite a while afterwards using a Latin translator. They make much more etymological sense.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 7:33 am

I see we're redoing a lot now, eh?

I must say, I like the new names. Need any help from me?

(I must say, I feel special now. I just noticed that the time that we had the most members online was on my birthday!)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:27 am

(Horay! Pleasantly Surprised)

We're only gonna fix up to the phylum rank.

Well, the reason there are no names below Recolliga and Carcera is because the old taxa doesn't fit the evolution.

I drew up a diagram - which I'll upload tomorrow - that shows the most primitive evolutionary steps of those two domains (together the form the infradomain Verusforma).

We can't do much until I've uploaded the pic, but I can say that I'll probably have to move Presymmetra, Trisymmetra and Bisymmetra down to the rank of phylums, or perhaps subkingdoms. The two new Carcera kingdoms (or perhaps infrakingdoms) will be Unomembrana and Duomembrana, with reference to the evolution of their cell membranes.

Recolliga's existing taxa will be complete scrapped and redone, as it makes very little evolutionary sense.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Okay, I look forward to the uploading of the pic.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 am

I had to redo it on MS Paint because my mom was using the printer/scanner for uploaded thousands of photos of me as a one-year-old.

(Holy crap, the gallery is full!! D= )

Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy 1z5u5ir

Now, let me explain the image.

A1 - Eukaryotic Solvoa, with organelles and nuclei floating in the non-living organic fluid that characterizes the domain.

A2 - Procarceran Eukaryotic Solvoa, with organelles arranged around nuclei as proto-cells. A gell-like substance derived from the Solvoa surrounds the nuclei, in which the other organellels are suspended.

A3 - Darusliquidus Solvoa, with proto-cell clusters, resulting in clumps of "gell".

A4 - Textushumor Solvoa, with strings and other structures of the proto-cells and their gell, allowing for more intricate shapes for the Solvoa.

B1 - Unomembrana, the first Carcera. These structures have developed membranes to keep the proto-cellular gell and organelles together. They are no longer just organelles of the Solvoa, but organisms on their own, able to survive independant of the Solvoa and its fluid. Most modern species exist outside of Solvoa - they have not become multicellular.

B2 - Duomembrana, different from Unomembrana because if has a second membrane between the nucleus and the primary membrane. I've already explained much of this in a different topic in this section.

B3 - All multicellular organisms on Novusvita are Duomembrana Carcera, but not all Duomembrana are multicellular.

C1 - In some cases, proto-cells were able to latch onto solid surfaces on which the Solvao lay, and was able to use the minerals and such in the rock or whatever that it latched onto to construct the solid parts of its structure. And so the evolution of the Recolliga began.

C2 - Proto-cell clusters eventually began doing the above, eventually loosing dependance on the Solvoa.

C3 - Like Carcera, the first Recolliga evolved "inside" Solvoa. When certain Solvoa would die or flow away, they would leave the precurser Recolliga behind on the surface they were on.

Basically, I'm now trying to group through evolutionary simmilarity as apposed to physical simmilarity. Ignore A3 and 4, if you want. They have nothing to do with anything.

So far I've added a few taxa to Carcera:
  • Unomembrana
  • Duomembrana
    • Presymmetra
    • Trisymmetra
    • Disymmetra

I still wanna add phyla to the latter three (assuming that they aren't already phyla, but subkingdoms).

*Sigh* I may have to re-classify Solvoa again. I think I made a significant error.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 am

And that significant error was?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am

I overlooked the evolution of the nucleus (or rather nuclei).

(WTF, you're 91??)
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 am

And how did the nuclei evolve?

(Yes I am)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 am

Genetic material compressing into balls.

What I'm saying is that I left that out completely - it never occured to me that, of course, not all Solvoa would have nuclei (it's not like life starter with nuclei, right?).

(YOU LIE!! Wtf!? )
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 am

Life didn't start with nuclei. Here on Earth Prokaryotes came first, and they had no nuclei.

(Yup)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 am

Precisely. That's where the Solvoa's taxonomy got messed up.

Thus I have created subdomains (is there even a rank like like?? Edit: My bad, Wikipedia says it's "superkingdom", not subdomain) for prokaryotic and eukaryotic Solvoa. They don't have propper names yet, though. Any ideas?

(Well you've certainly aged fast.)
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

As for a name, we could simply just slightly edit the terms for life on Earth, say Xenoprokaryons and Xenoeukaryons (Xeno meaning alien) or come up with entirely different terms. Entirely different terms would be good. Solvoakaryon (meaning Solvoa and nucleus) and Solvoaochikaryon (meaning Solvoa, no nucleus) maybe. Perhaps just "Karyon" and "Ochikaryon" ("Nucleus" and "No nucleus" in Greek) would be good. Just throwing stuff out there.

(Nah, just a few mishaps with time travel)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 am

I like Solvoakaryon and Solvoaochikaryon, but just Karyon and Ochikaryon makes more sense.

However, because of my Latin preference, how about Verusnuclea (true nucleus) and Nullusnuclea (no nucleus)?(Conveniently, nucleus, kernel and nut (the latter two being the Greek translation of "karyon") are all "nucleus" in Latin.)
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 am

Those two do sound good. Of course, it would be nice to throw some Greek words into the taxonomy though, in my opinion.

Although the Latin terms make them sound less like those on Earth, which is nice because it make's Novusvita seem even more unlike our planet.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:46 am

We could do that in the lower ranks (class, order, family, genus, species), I guess. Especially in the last two (which would make it more realistic due to the many independant exobiologysts on the planet).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 am

Mhm. Perhaps the first people to examine the life on Novusvista had a Latin preference, like you. And now with many more people there they'd all be naming things in whatever language they want to.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Something like that...

While this conversation has been going on I've been re-doing the taxonomy on two seperate Excel documents, one for a rough evolutionary tree of majour evolutionary steps and another for the taxons themselves.

This is the taxonomy I've got so far:
  • Liquidusforma - Loose formed
    • Solvoa - Dissolved
      • Nullusnuclea - No nuclei
        • Patrisspira - Genetic coil (in reference to nucleic strings)
          • Proxinuclea - Nearing nucleus (in reference to nucleoids)
      • Verusnuclea - True nuclei (true nuclei present)
        • Laxusliquidus - Loose fluid
          • Procarcera - Before/nearing cells (in reference to proto-cells)
            • Maculosis - Spotted (in reference to tiny clumps of proto-cell clusters)
        • Darusliquidus - Hard fluid (because of the jelly-ness caused by the proto-cell clumps)
          • Mollisvitrum - Soft glass (basically the simplest form of Darusliquidus)
          • Textushumor - Fabric fluid (in reference to proto-cell strings)
            • Cuplalimus - String slime (A simple form of the above)
  • Verusforma - Set form/structure
    • Recolliga - Gathering (in reference to its ability to gather and use nearby minerals)
    • Carcera - Celled
      • Unomembrana - One membrane (because these cells only have one cell membrane)
      • Duomembrana - Two membranes (the classic "Imperia" cells)
        • Prosymmetra - Before symmetry (changed pre to pro)
          • Multicarcera - Multiple cells (multicellularness)
            • Cavusfolliculo - Hollow ball (these things are basically microscopic sacks)
              • Parvasentines - Small pump (will later explain)
        • Trisymmetra - Tripple symmetry
        • Disymmetra - Double symmetry

Know that that was damn hard to get right with BBCode...

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 pm

While I have no idea what most of those mean, it sounds pretty cool, so that's good.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Now I shall add meanings...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy   Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redoing the Novusvitan Taxonomy
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next