The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Empty
PostSubject: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 am

As we all know, much of Novusvita's airborne animal species employ a biological jet engine to propell themselves through the atmosphere.

I imagine they would achieve this simmilar to the way cephalopods do - by forcing out inhaled air through a funnel-like exiting orifice, creating a jet of fast moving air. Of course, the creatures will have to be floating in the air already, like as a result of being inflated with lighter-than-air digestive gasses.

However, this method of sucking in air and forcing it out as a jet would normally use a two-way inflating and contracting action, meaning that, instead of a continous jet, it is reduced to multiple small jet bursts. We have to find some means of solving it.

So, how would evolution go about creating a means of propelling an airborne creature with a constant jet?
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I dunno. It could do that really quickly. Or, maybe it would have two sets of jets, and alternates between the two to keep a consistent speed?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Perhaps, but then they would sort-of snake through the air.

That could mean three different locomotions, though, depending on how many jets they have:
-One jet: Short, non-continuous bursts.
-Two jets: A continuous burst, but in a side-to-side motion.
-Three of more jets: Alternating between middle and side jets creates a continuous, straight burst.

But I actually meant that we should perhaps design the jet organ itself so that a single jet could provide continuous propulsion, like a man-made jet engine.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 9:25 am

Doing things that require me to be smart is not my forte, so I don't know how I'd be able to help. But I think that there are creatures that move with continuous jets though.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

You could make it so that it has multiple intakes but an organ like an epiglottis (linky) that makes it have only one exit. You could essentially have air moving continuously, but very few airborne Novusvitan creatures are built for something ike that.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 am

True and true... Thought
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm

So...
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:38 am

YAYAPOST!! 8D

Always good to see it's you, Xeno. I'm almost tempted to promote you in some way. Smile

Anyway, shall we revive the forum?
Back to top Go down
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 am

Well i'm sorry for being gone so long, been a little buzy and been slacking off. Hello again Smile
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Nice to see you too, Temporal. Lets revive this place. Again.

Also, I may be able to recruit some people from a Minecraft server I play on (most people there are from the Sporum anyway) so even if not everybody comes back we may have some new people.

And nice to see you, Galactic.

EDIT: We don't have any mods. Just saying. Just throwing that out there. Just to inform everyone.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 am

Galactic! Very Happy

Anyway, I'm aware of that. Since I'm here practically every day, I'll only recruit mods once I go on leave again or if/when we start getting quite a bit more active members.
Back to top Go down
Galactic conquerer
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:15 am

Anyway I belive Lichendragon has quit, i have been chatting with him on steam quite frequently and he dosent really talk about it.
Anyway, what can i help you with? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:08 am

Know of any way with which a continuous biological air-jet could work?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 am

Lichen has steam? Attention! My steam name is Magmortar - Minty Hippo if anybody wants to add me.

I have no idea how that would work, Temporal.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Hmmmm...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 6:11 am

Hmmmm.... Indeed.

To S&S? Maybe they will know?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 6:40 am

If you want, please do so. Smile I'm not all too keen on posting in the Sporum myself, really...
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 am

To S&S I go!
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 am

Any luck?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 am

Not really.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:39 am

Guess I'll try the biology forum I'm on (not hoping for much, as my threads there are usually ignored/overlooked for some or other reason).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:07 am

Mhm... Good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 pm

I thought everyone had Steam... Well, most everyone.

Oh yeah, My Steam is Balufire132...

And My computer was having problems (not to mention the internet provider), But I am back for now...

And as for your question... what about some bacteria that digests the waste (poo in this case) and turns it into a hydrogen rich gas that is emitted through a pressure controlling valve or pressure/speed controlling sphincter (I do believe that is correct use of that word...)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:29 am

That would only create a burst of a few seconds or minutes, depending on the size of whichever organ would store the gas.

No, what I'm thinking is a system which takes up air from the front and jets it out the back, like an jet plane's jets. How would the jet work to provide a continuous, uninterrupted burst of air that could theoretically go on forever (because it would take up and jet out air continuously).
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 am

Magic? I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life   The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Biological Jets - The method of propulsion shared by much airborne Novusvitan life
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next