The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Nations

Go down 
+5
geekus_sapiens
Balufire
LichenDragon
Xeno
SPACE_LEMON
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 12:17 pm

There are nine main Zen'ji clans on Novusvita, as shown on the territory map below (note: White is human colony territory):
The Nations 28wfeaq

*Must still update using a post of Lichen's somewhere*

Main Zen'ji clans:

-Iga'ji
The most "advanced" of the six clans, Iga is also the most aggressive. Their empire encompasses a vast part of the planet and covers large portions of the three continents of Cyro'bar, Gharo'zaghira and Amar'kano.

Their hierarchy and rule are simple. An emperor rules over three kings, one on each continent. The emperor himself is stationed in a large fortress on Bara'cûl, a large island between the three taken continents.

The emperor has the ability to issue laws, decrees and directly influence trade, military and diplomatic matters, though the latter is rarely used. Not even the kings have the authority to challenge his word, though they may issue regional decrees, such as primitive tax razes, slave trade orders and small military campaigns, on their own parts of the empire. The emperor has the final say over it all, however.

Their unstable nature hasn't stopped their advancement, however. They can almost be considered above pre-industrial, as primitive armoury-factories already exist near each of the four capitol cities.

Each of these cities houses one of the four rulers and are mostly build out of the empire's greatest asset: Iron. In fact, iron "plantations" - made up of iron harvesting Mineralian species - dot the empire, as do the smelting plants.

Iga is one of the only three clans to have developed an artificial, non trade-dependant form of currency in the shape of metal balls. The lowest unit (one credit) is a marble-sized iron ball. Next is silver at three credits. A gold ball follows at nine credits while the highest, a platinum ball, stands at twenty seven.

This three digit system is based on the numeric system of the Zen'ji as a whole, which is based on ones, threes and nines, whereas the human numeric system is based off twos, fives and tens. This is mainly due to them having three fingers per hand, and not five like humans do.

Iga have openly rejected human colonists, seeing them as "demons", and have even hinted at the possibility of war.

-Aari'ji
The great mariners of Novusvita, the Aari can be considered a circum-global kingdom, as the majority of Novusvita's oceans "belong" to them, mainly the New Pacific and Gara'n Oceans.

They have no large cities or settlements, as they mostly spend their lives aboard ships (some up to fifty meter long) constructed from reed-like plants found on the bed of shallow seas. They do have a number of port towns, but during certain times of the year, these may be completely deserted.

Like Iga, the Aari have developed a sophisticated trade system, also involving beads, though they have more units and their currency isn't equal to that of Iga's - the value is three times less. They share their trading system with the Valiero clan.

They are great fishers and even have some naval skill, as they have acquired varied weapons, even guns from humans, through trading.

Almost all Aari, man, woman or child, is a trader. They may sell anything from "fish" to gems to animals to the purple gel sometimes found growing on the ocean surface, considered a delicacy amongst the Zen'ji.

They have no strict rule system, living on the philosophy of "every man for himself", though you'll often find entire families living together, looking after one another, on the same vessel or in a frigid of vessels. Sometimes they tie their vessels to one another using the dead bodies of a rope-like, worm-like creature, creating a sort of "floating city" which can sometime have a mayor-like leader.

When humans arrived on Nuvusvita, the Aari welcomed them with open arms, as the saw these "Jaw Heads", as the Zen'ji call them, as a potential source of exotic trade deals.

-Svia'ji
The "tree people" of Novusvita's jungles mostly live on the large jungle island of Siera (as pronounced by humans) and have spread to some other parts of the world, such as the nearby continents of Cyro'bar, Xena and Thera'nal.

They live in loose tribes throughout the jungles and have developed simple tools such as hammers and spears. They often live in the plentiful tree-like structures throughout the jungles, though occasionally build huts when large enough trees aren't available.

Unlike commonly believed, the Svia do have a leader. Two, in fact. A mating couple, the strongest warrior (normally elected) pared with the female heir of the previous couple. It's a loose system, as many Svia tribes hardly ever meet, but it's effective, especially during war.

The Svia treated the humans as gods, when they first arrived.

-Jay'ji
People of the great Gharotheran Desert of Gharo'zaghira and Thera'nal, they are a mysterious and enigmatic clan.

They live a simple life, similar to that of some Middle-Eastern peoples on Earth. They even have a similar dressing code! They are amongst the only clans who actually beclothe themselves as protection against the harsh sandstorms.

They are often found either in villages built into the red cliffs of the canyons that crisscross the desert, groups of tents near oases on the dunes or in caravans wandering the sands.

Like the Aari, the Jay are willing to trade with others when they encounter neighbouring clans or tribes or even humans.

They have no apparent leader or hierarchy and are usually a peaceful people. It is often thought of strange, then, that they were the original inventors of the gun-like weapons that the Iga now prize. They are excellent gunmen and can ambush enemies using their camouflaging clothing and the sniper rifle-like weapons each carries - men, women and even children.

It burdens the minds of the Jay to think that it was, in fact, their ancestors who started the war of old. Before then, a vast part of the desert was grassland. A period of global warming changed that and the Jay nearly vanished. Desperate, they entered the neighbouring lands, searching for food. When they were rejected by the other clans, they simply took it. When the indigenous clans retaliated, the war broke out. It was the Iga who drove them back to the desert. Had they not learnt to farm the native fauna, they would surely have disappeared all together.

-Oijah'ji
The cave people are the smallest of the clans, living in the mountains under Iga's mighty shadow, in the north of Cyro'bar.

They Are adapt to the darkness they dwell in, yet they have mastered fire, using it to light up their homes. They also gather the luminescent crystals of cave-growing Mineralians for both lighting and jewellery. They have no definite culture or society. No leaders or civilisation. They simply live off what they can find.

But this wasn't always their way.

Hundreds of years ago, they were part of a great civilisation. They were part of what was once the growing power of Iga. Then a prospering, fruitful nation, it was no surprise to the populace that Iga won the war. It was what happened afterwards that did.

The king became an emperor, taking over the lands of the clans he defeated, driving the rest to the far side of the world. Countless smaller clans went extinct because of Iga's actions. Within a few decades, they had turned into the industrial monster they now are. The people retaliated.

A great civil war broke out. A second war, long forgotten by history. But the power of the emperor was too great. The rebels were slaughtered. The survivers went into exlie, deep into the mountains.

Today, Oijah is the result. Their name's true meaning is not what most humans believe to be "dark people", thought to be a metaphor for "cave dwelling", but, instead, "the forgotten".

Even Iga does not know of their existence. They were only recently discovered by humans, who keep strict secret of their whereabouts.

-Valiero'ji
The "city people" of the eastern continent were once a mighty people, reminiscent of the civilisation Iga once was. They used to rule over nearly the whole of Cyro'bar, with its vast grasslands (not true grass, of course) and mighty rivers.

It was during the war that half their nation fell.

Today they keep far from their western borders, in fear of Iga.

They are skilled in riding creatures similar to what humans would recognise as horses. Each child is paired with one of these animals (a new born, in fact) at birth and is taught to ride, what is initially just a pet, form a young age. The two are partners for life.

Many still live in the great stone cities of old, but much of the populace also live in simply hut settlements built of grasses and reeds. Those who live in these "country" settlements are mostly farmers of vegetation, livestock and Minerallians, especially "iron trees". The clan have learnt to trade iron to Iga in exchange for peace.

They have a single leader, and "elected king", of sorts, who is chosen annually from the best riders, warriors and wise men of the nation.

It was in their land that the humans first landed. Unlike the Svia, the Valiero saw humans as equals, not gods. A concept hard to grasp for some human colonists. The Valiero allow humans to build colonies in their land, and even allow some to move into their cities!

Human/Valiero relations are currently working on a universal language for both humans and the Zen'ji to use.

They are humans' "bridge" into Novusvita.

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 7:59 am

Are the Valiero clan's "horses" the abominations I made?
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Full Name: Liekan Dajonvii A'Vi
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 8:39 am

Hopefully, I feel that there should probably be a few more "civilized nations", perhaps just a notification of smaller nations other then just tribal groups.

Such as the system of major and minor nations when dealing with human history.

What I mean basically is some where put....

"There are also a number of smaller nations most of which are protectorates or vassals of the major nations."

Just something like that to increase the realism.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/LichenDragon
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 am

I agree with Lichen. It would make more sense.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 am

So I should explain the majour tribes as well?
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Yes you should.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Minor:
Portugal
Wurttemberg
Hanover
Westphalia
Saxony
Denmark
Savoy
Genoa
Venice
Italian States
Mysore
Persia
Durgestan
Crimean Khanate
Georgia
Courland(Protectorate of Poland, I think)
New Spain(Protectorate of Spain)
13 Colonies(Protectorate of GB)
Louisiana(Protectorate of France)
Iroquois
Cherokee
Pueblo
Inuit
Plains Nations
Morocco
Barbary States
Pirates

Revolters:
Mexico
Columbia
Quebec
Greece
Norway
Mamelukes(Egypt)
Scotland
Ireland
Punjab

This is a list of "Minor" factions in a game I play, basically I'm showing how many nations can occur in just a few corners of the world. Most of the "clans" seem like they would be like the Holy Roman empire were even though they're politically the same country the country is made up of scores if not hundreds of different countries and nations.

Just some advice on how empires work, its not simple as 6 big empires, it can never be that simple.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm

It does make more sense...

Like the Native American "Tribes" or "clans", they were groups of either Assimilated or Conquered nations, or in the case of the Iroquois Nations, a number of tribes put together in a loose honor treaty(At least I think that is what it was...)

Many nations made up the Aztec Empire, Romans controlled almost half of the known world at one point in time, Alexander the Great from Macedonia Conquered more than the Romans (before he died that is). In compliance to the above, It is indeed more realistic, and I do believe that is what we are looking for here.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 2:34 am

Ok, then we should A) start thinking of different factions within each clan and B) start making up minor clans and tribes to fill in the gray space on the map. Smile
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:22 am

Most of the time, the tribes of a particular area can be looked at from the outside as the same in all but name (zomg it rhymes).
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:33 am

(Zomg, you're right!) That's probably the simplest way of putting it. Eg. "The Tribes of Xena".
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 8:35 am

Basically, all you would need are the general characteristics of a region's tribes and then describe the more specific details of each tribe.

And then we'd move to the exceptions.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 am

Yeah. Let's look at the grey areas. Mainly they are the poles and Xena. The latter is, of course, the evolutionary birthplace of the Xen'vi.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm

So, considering the evolutionary birthplace of humanity, are we considering an African feel around Xena?

And we are allowed to leave some places blank. There are large areas of unpopulated land on Earth.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 4:34 pm

The only blank places would be extremely cold and barren regions, similar to Antarctica on Earth. There would be no reason for the Xen'vi to settle there.

Xena should definitely have native Xen'vi. It's where they are from, after all.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Or, say, something like the Outback, where nothing actually lives.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Tall mountain ranges (Upper Himalayas, Tibetan Mountains), Deserts(Gobi, Kalahari Esp.), Icecaps (N+S Poles), and of course near places with High Density Salt Lakes(Dead Sea), or with little fresh water should be considered. And because of the Lower Gravity, Mountain ranges may be out of this list completely... As they would be wider, and taller. Example would be Olympus Mons, its tall, but climbing it would be no different than climbing a parking lot with a shallow grade. Although, this could be counteracted by a low magnetization... (Random jumble of thoughts)
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Some near-polar (sorta like Escimos) tribes could live near the poles. Almost the whole of the Great Gharo Valley (which is basically a Canada type environment) is untouched.

As for Xeno, there are basically four main bits there: Its southern shore, everything south of those epic mountains, which is jungle and already taken by Svia; Those epic moutains which are nicknamed New Tibet for a reason and is taller - not sure by how much - than the Himalayas at the southern end of the platau; A lush Mediterranean-type place to the east around that huge inland sea and the smaller almost-inland sea south of it; Then there's the Cradle, everything north of the mountains and west of the big inland sea. This area is relatively flat-ish, with many huge shallow vallies and a sorta north European enfused with the Paradise feel - this is the birthplace of the Xen'vi, hence the name.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Lots of people live in Canada. Why don't the Xen'vi live in the Canada-esque valley place?
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 8:07 am

Doesn't 90% of the Canadian population live in the very Southern levels of Canada?

I'd expect that Xen'Vi, assuming that they're just as adaptable as humans, which they should be, will be able to live in just about any environment on the planet except....

Large expansive deserts in like the Sahara.
Northern Tundras.
High mountain ranges.
Under the sea. (For obvious reasons)
Antarctica style conditions.

In some of these (Tundras and Deserts) they'll probably be able to eek out a survival with trade and nomadic hunting. (Think Sahara salt and gold traders and Plains/Inuit Native Americans)

High mountain ranges (as in the tippy tops of the Andes, Alps and Himalayans) are probably going to very difficult to sustain life of that sorts. For a species not particularly adapted to the lifestyle I'd have a hard time seeing then survive low atmosphere levels and lack of anywhere to be with out plumetting.

And under the sea should be at least mildly obvious as a No-No to terrestrial lifeforms.
Back to top Go down
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 am

Yeah, about 90%...

Anyway... What would a Canada type environment be? There's a lot of different environments here. Plains, tundra's, mountains, forests, etc,.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 am

Wilderness.

AKA:

Plains, tundra's, mountains, forests, etc,.

There isn't a set environment for Canada. Over the northern regions there'll be Tundra, Arctic Tundra(Inuit Territory), Alpine Forests, Depending on whether or Novuvsita has experienced any iceages in the past couple million years large numbers of lakes.

And I could go on but it will sound like I'm reading a textbook about Earth.

Assuming that since the two environments on a global scale are strikingly similar I'm going to expect that the two planets will contain very similar biospheres.

Actually I think we need a thread on the planet's enviornmental history. Did it have iceages? Snowball periods? Massive planetary collisions? How many mass extinctions? (There will have been mass extinctions, its a fact of life.)

Infact I'm going to go look at what you've said about moons and age again....
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm

If Novusvita has two moons, it seems likely that there has been at least one massive planetary collision, given the method of creating our own moon. That may or may not coincide with a mass extinction.
Back to top Go down
LichenDragon
LichenDragon

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Well life wouldn't have formed on the planet almost for certain at the stage where planetary bodies were flying around the place.

Perhaps I'll go make that thread now so we can talk about the Six Clans instead of geological history.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Character Sheet
Starting Universe:

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 am

Good plan. And you're probably right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Nations Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nations   The Nations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Nations
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The ALTERVERSE Forums :: [Archive]-
Jump to: