The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weather, Climate and the Seasons

Go down 
+4
geekus_sapiens
Xeno
LichenDragon
SPACE_LEMON
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Astrolizard2000
New Comer
New Comer
Astrolizard2000

Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 pm

geekus_sapiens wrote:
Astrolizard2000 wrote:
A: I think this would be something like a normal earth season, with summer in the northern hemisphere, winter in the south.

B: Near constant daylight on all sides, with two different nights/twilight portions.

C: Similar to A, although a bit warmer.

Oh no!! A hotter version of B.

E: Hot, particularly in the northern hemisphere. Has night, a stronger version of an earth summer.

F: The hottest season, scorching sunlight with pretty much entire daylight hours throughout, hottest in the northern hemisphere.

G: Same as G, but hotter in southern hemisphere.

H: Same as F, but hottest in the southern hemisphere.

The fact that (s)he says that certain seasons that would otherwise be identical are hotter in x/y hemisphere is where I was getting that from. If the charts were from above, this would not be the case. If they were a side view, it would.

I'm a he. Wink

And yes, I was thinking it was from a side view. How exactly do the stars/planet orbit each other... I'm expecting it to be VERY un-earth like, and thus a very screwed up season system.
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

The thing is, if the stars orbited perpendicularly to the planetary axis (which is what it looks like you assumed), the skewing of gravitational pull vertically would screw up the orbits enough to make them unstable.

The seasons are incredibly screwed up, it's just that it repeats a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 pm

I actually just tried making a system like this in my gravity simulator. I could only pull off a binary system, but the planet went into very long arcs then collided with two other "stable" planets I had put in for... (Whats the word...) Anyway... it don't work.

Ok lets go through a rundown.

Algol A, is a large B class (B8 V), Blueish White Star, Is brighter than the others.

Algol B, I think he has it as a Subgiant, K class(K0 IV) Orange Star. Releases more Radiation than the others.

Algol C, I do not believe we have put this one into a category... but I speculate it is a star just smaller than the sun. Very small A class(A5 V)

Image explaining Spectral Classifications:
Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 400px-HR-diag-no-text-2.svg

... Fin
Back to top Go down
geekus_sapiens
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident
geekus_sapiens

Location : Take a left after any city and travel an indeterminately long distance and you will likely find me eventually.

Character Sheet
Full Name: Krikk Itwish
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Link to simulator?
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 am

*Will read pages 5 and 6 of this thread tomorrow*

Here's a climate (not biome, though) map I did recently:
Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Nwnbmc

White = Tundra / Iced environment
Light green = Mild...? Basically, expect non-hot forrests and grasslands here
Yellow = Semi-desert / savannah
Khaki = Desert
Dark green = Tropical

Also, that diagram of Novusvita's solar weather doesn't show hemispheres (if anything, it's looking onto the northern or southern hemisphere).

Also, I haven't taken the axial tilt into acount because I assumed the suns would have a greater effect. (My senses tell me I idn't spell there...)

Last edited by TemporalV01D on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Location : Feel free to contact me via Email, PM, or IM, I am always on my computer.

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't know if it is still up but It is called Gravitation3D. It isn't very good at making accurate planets and such but it is mostly accurate in the astrophysics department.

You forgot that weird tan color inbetween the deserts and savannahs. I am guessing that to be Highlands.

With the placement of the deserts and such I estimate the axial tilt to be... around 30 degrees

[quote=Dman](My senses tell me I [d]idn't spell there...)[/quote]
Spelled everything right 'cept account and didn't.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:59 am

Aletrius already worked out a lot on the astrophysics of Algol, so we don't really have to worry about that.

I'm pretty sure I included everything...

That sounds about right.

Lol.
Back to top Go down
Balufire
Dimensional Resident
Dimensional Resident

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 am

Now if only I know how to use this rendering software...
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weather, Climate and the Seasons   Weather, Climate and the Seasons - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weather, Climate and the Seasons
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The ALTERVERSE Forums :: [Archive]-
Jump to: