The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Welcome to the ALTERVERSE Forums. Feel free to log in, in order to contribute and explore.
The ALTERVERSE Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ALTERVERSE Forums

ALTERVERSE is a literary universe and multiverse made up of the story arcs of multiple planned and in-progress litterature and culminative world-building projects. Here, you can contribute to the multiverse and explore what it presently entails.

HomePortalGalleryAlterverse WikiLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Duos Physiology

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SPACE_LEMON
Denizen of the Higher Dimensions
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Character Status: N/a
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Duos Physiology Empty
PostSubject: Duos Physiology   Duos Physiology Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 4:22 am

So far, the Duososida class (classified under Superdomain Verusforma, Domain Carcera, Superkingdom Duomembrana, Kingdom Disymmetra, Superphylum Ferecorda, Phylum Cerebra, Subphylum Respirato, Class Duososida. For the record, the Supers and Subs aren't important) has been our main focus, with regards to Novusvitan life. In this thread, I will attempt to clarify them as much as possible.

First I'll explain the physiological makeup of the Duos. I'll eventually intergrate the physiological info of the Xen'vi thread into this, but for now I'll show you the organ configuration that most Duos share.

(I actually have a really nice sketch drown up of the organs within a worm-like creature, but I'm not yet able to scan it into the PC. I'll post it as soon as I can.)

Duos Physiology 2i256cn

A - Heart. The central pump of the Duos vascular system. Originally there used to be two hearts, but I removed the second as I no longer saw a need for it. The heart is positioned at the very back of the body (in Xen'vi it lies between the hips).

B - Aorta. The central artery of the Duos makes its way through the body allong the top, just below the spinal cord. As it goes, it pases over the gustory organ, where the blood if enriched with nurtience. It then passes through the liver before finally reaching the brain, branching off numerously allong the way. Arteries only branch off the Aorta after the gustory organ.

C - Liver. It does what livers do and lies above the gustory organ.

D - Brain. It does what brains do. Note that the spinal cord isn't shown on the diagram.

E - Vena Cavae. The two majour veins of the Duos flows on either side of the body, starting at the brain and ending at the heart, flowing through the lung and kidney on either side as they go. Veins only join the Vena Cavae before the lungs.

F - Lungs. Does what lungs do (perhaps it should be noted that, in air-breathing species, Carbon Dioxide is both inhaled and exhaled. This is duo to the chemistry of the cells).

G - Inhalation Orifices (excuse spelling error on diagram). This is where air is, well, inhaled. These opening (normally slits) are one-way pasages directly into the underlying lungs. The lungs are separated from the outside via a filter-like membrane (not always present in aquatic Duos) through which gasses (and sometimes fluids) can pass into the lungs, while leaving solid debris behind. As soon as the debris on the membranes become too much, an action simmilar to coughing occurs. The membrane contracts somewhat violently, causing the debris to be "shaken" off. On the edges of the openings are the olfactory receptors, responcible for the sense of smell.

H - Kidneys. Does what kidneys do. The waste material is sent to the waste chamber of the gustory organ after being extracted from the blood.

I - Gustory Organ. Essentially the Duos' entire digestive system. Food materials pass into the organ via the gustory tubes on either side. The organ is divided into four chambers: the oesophagary chamber, the early digestive chamber, the late digestive chamber and the waste chamber. Simply put, the oesophagary chamber is merely where material goes to and from the gustory tubes. True digestion only starts in the early digestive chamber, which acts simmilarly to the stomach. The late digestive chamber acts simmilarly to the small intestine, while the waste chamber is simmilar to the colon and is where the solid and liquid wastes of the body is collected. Nutrience is collected in the two digestive chambers and absorbed into the aorta. Waste in the waste chamber is passed back into the oesophagary chamber, completing the digestive cycle, and is passed back into the gustory tubes.

J - Gustory Tubes. The gustory tubes are responsible for taking foods and fluids from the gustory orifices to the gustory organ and taking solid and liquid waste from the gustory organ to the gustory orifices, where they are excreted. A special, short branch of the gustory tubes are responsible for taking gasses produced during digestion to the exhalation tubes so they can be exhaled.

K - Gustory and Reproductive Orifices. These openings serve three major perpouses: eating, excretion and reproduction. These openings are often at the ends of forlimbs - if forlimbs are present - and lead directly into the gustory tubes, the opening ends of which act as mouth cavities, rectums and, in the female Duos, viganae or even uteri. On the lining of this chamber are multiple buds, responsible in males for producing sperm and in females for producing egg cells or whole unfertilised eggs. In the males of more "advanced" species, the skin and muscle that lines this orifice is able to stiffen and extend a few inches outward, resulting a sort of penis, allowing for the Duos version of sex to take place. If your mind is young and innocent, pretend you didn't just read that.

L - Exhalation Tubes (again, please excuse spelling error on diagram). Quite simply, this one-way tube takes gasses from the lungs and the gustory tubes to the voice chambers for exhailation.

M/N - Voice Chambers and Exhalation Orifices. In most Duos species, the aforementioned gasses are expelled from six orifices at the end of the exhailation tubes, normally at the top of the creature's head or neck, three on either side. In more "advanced" species, the interior end of the exhailation tubes has evolved into a hollow chamber, where the exiting gasses pass through a voice box, creating sound which is then amplified by this voice chamber before being "spoken" out of the six orifices. The voice chamber, exhailation orifices and accompanying vocal strctures can be quite complex in some species, allowing the creation of multiple sounds and even a spoken language, as in the case of the Xen'vi.

I'll add more later, such as the Duos evolutionary tree. I hope.
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Xeno
Taco Gazelle
Xeno

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Duos Physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duos Physiology   Duos Physiology Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 am

Well, we can always add some stuff from the Sporum to here.

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/59735.page

Pretty much just copy and then edit everything about the Duos we have there.

And, of course, names need changing.
Back to top Go down
SPACE_LEMON
SPACE_LEMON

Character Sheet
Full Name:
Starting Universe:

Duos Physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duos Physiology   Duos Physiology Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

Meh, that's rather outdated.

The main change so far to Duos physiology is that the heart and intestines have swopped places.
Back to top Go down
https://alterverse.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

Duos Physiology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duos Physiology   Duos Physiology Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duos Physiology
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The ALTERVERSE Forums :: [Archive]-
Jump to: